Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Week 1 Down!

Hey guys!
Our P-Days are on Tuesday, so you can expect emails from me then.

So.

It's WAY different here, to say the least. It's warm every morning and rains like crazy every night. It reminds me of Oregon, but hotter. Also, there's a ton of mosquitoes here, but none have bit me yet. We try to kill them before we enter a classroom or bedroom.


The CCM


Anyway, I live in Casa 1 (House #1) with 19 other Elderes. I'll list them here.

Room 1: Elder Gray, Elder White, Elder Aiono, and Elder Moore (No relation to FL Moore's).

Room 2: Elder Baldwin, Elder Funckes, Elder Reese, and Elder Campbell (Not me).

Room 3: Elder Faldmo, Elder Bunch, Elder Jensen, and Elder Jensen's compañero (can't remember his name).

Room 4: Elder Taylor, Elder Branham, Elder Wilson, and Elder Chambers (he's the cousin of Spencer Chambers in Northgate Ward).

Room 5: And finally there's Elder Buzan, Elder Walker, Elder Shawcroft (my compañero), and Me.

That's my Casa.
Mi Casa


My Distrito (District) has 11 members, 3 Hermanas and 8 Elderes. They are:
Elder Hellewell (L-O-L), Elder Maughan (Mon), Elder Crane, Elder Boice, Elder Le Sueur, Elder Perkes, Hermana Wilkins, Hermana Muller, Hermana Gubler, Elder Shawcroft, and Me. I'm listing them because by pure chance, we are all heading to the SAME mission at the SAME TIME. I'll be seeing these guys for the next 1.5 to 2 years. According to our teacher, Hermana Arnaud, this has never happened before. I wonder sometimes if it's more than just coincidence.

You already know this, but yeah, I saw Dillon on Day 1 and gave him his package on Day 3. We see each other an average of once a day, but I still need to get a picture with him. The Presidenté of the CCM (MTC en Español) has prohibited pictures at any time except on P-Days. Kinda stupid, but whatever. He also prohibited all electronic music during our stay here. Now that's rough. Sometimes MOTAB is the fastest way for me to feel the Spirit here. I try not to break the rules.

Mi compañero, Elder Shawcroft, is a pretty athletic dude, but he's also an ardent introvert. I'd thought he was angry at me on Days 3 and 4 because he was so quiet all the time, but he was really just keeping to himself. I only found this out because I confronted him about it in an empty classroom.

I told him I was sorry if I'd angered him, but being silent wasn't the way to go about things. Above all, Missionary companions need communication, which is impossible of one of the pair is silent all the time.

He choked up. We spent the next half hour talking about how hard it already was (this was only Day 4), and how he didn't think he could handle two years of being away. The pressure of wanting to be successful for his family was crushing him emotionally. I was amazed how he'd bottled it up for this long.

I told him I was here for him, just as all the missionaries here supported each other, and I told him to take it one day at a time. Don't focus on the mountain of Two Years as a whole, but rather Days, which are much easier to handle. I also compared him to Elsa from Frozen. I told him it wasn't good to just bottle this all up (conceal, don't feel) and not tell anyone. That only creates an emotional explosion down the road. He seemed to agree with this, and since then we've been much more discussive with each other. I hope that was the right thing to do.

Speaking of explosions, I finally got the runs for the first time last night. Mom, your rule was spot on. "Spicy In, Spicy Out." Holy Moly. It honestly felt like Satan propelled himself from my butt. It burned like the flames of the Underworld. I was surprised the toilet didn't catch fire. Fortunately, I lived.

Oh, and the other Elder Campbell pooped himself two nights ago. That sounds funny, but he immediately threw all his garments in the washer. Dude. You gotta rinse the stuff off before you wash it. I'm not using that washer for a few days.

I've gotten all the Elderes in Casa 1 to sing a Hymn in Español every night before bed. It's awesome. I also made a list in that tan notebook Dad gave me of hyms with their spanish number and their english name. All the hymns in spanish are in different part of the hymnbook, so they're harder to find.

We also get a Peso Card while we're here to buy stuff at the Tienda. I bought a laundry bag yesterday because I couldn't find mine. And, my umbrella broke. I have no idea why, but the joints are all rusted even though it's brand new. I dried it after every time I used it, which was every day.

I love you all. I'll be posting pictures to Dropbox a little later today.

I love you Mom, Dad, Alex, and Bree. And Bodhi. I miss all of you. Happy Birthday Dad. I'm sorry I missed your birthday.

Mom, please use your discretion in posting this email to the blog. You may or may not want to cut some things out before you do. {Mom note: I did edit out lots of info but left the funny and important stuff in.}

-Elder Campbell

{Mom note: Since we are in the same time zone as him, we quickly sent him a couple of messages and he replied fairly quickly.}

Hey,
I sent my email at 12:18. My P-Day is every Tuesday from 6:30 AM to 5:00 PM. I do all my week's laundry today. The food is ok, for the most part. I need to avoid the spicy stuff if I don't want flaming bowels.

Also, I just uploaded some pictures to dropbox. Apparently only half of the pictures actually exist, because the memory card was loose when I took the pcitures. So that's all I got right now. I will send more next P-Day.

I love you guys.

-Elder Campbell

The bunk room

Outside the bunk room


One more thing: Elder Chambers (He's in the list I sent) is Spencer Chamber's Cousin. If you guys see Spencer at church, tell him his cousin Austin Chambers is in the same house as me at the MTC.

-Zach


No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a positive and uplifting thought...