Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Week 4- a month already done

Temple Trip!

Mexico City Temple

Outside the visitors' center.

Close up of elaborate stone work.
Hey all!

So, less this week than last week.

So, Elder Wilson (you've read about him in past emails) has had the roughest week thus far. He blacked out on his way from a class to the Enfermería. They took him to a hospital, where he spent the night. When he got back, he said it had something to do with his metabolism or something. Poor guy. I hope he doesn't get sent home for this kind of stuff.

On Sunday, the water stopped working for the whole CCM for about 4 hours. I shower at night, so I was fine, but a bunch of the newer Elderes were freaking out. Apparently a water pump broke near a main somewhere.

They fixed it, though, so it's all good. Although, somebody misheard the Main Office's explanation of the accident. "Bomba" in Spanish means "Water Pump" in English. So for a whole day people were going around saying a bomb had gone off at the CCM's water main. Exciting, but false. And I'm relieved it was just a rumor. "Lost in translation."

I've been trading a few ties since I've been here. I'l send a picture of them next email. I've traded away all my silk ties (good-looking, but fragile) for polyester (slightly more durable) ones. They look good, too.

Every Sunday, we have like 3 devotionals after Priesthood, Sacrament, and District Meetings. So it's like 8-ish hours of nonstop sitting.

This Sunday, the CCM Director of Training and Operations, Shawn Cates, spoke with us. I thought it was gonna be SUPER boring, but he was actually quite entertaining. One of the things he said stuck with me.

While here, we need to leave behind a lot of things in our life, many of them forever. We needed to "learn from the past, but not live in it. You can look back and take the embers from past experiences, but not the ashes."

I think that's a good idea to live by.

Also, I brought this up in one of our District's devotionals, but the lyrics to Hymn 85 "How Firm A Foundation" keep coming to mind. Specifically, verses 2 and 3.

"In every condition, in sickness, in health,
In poverty's vale or abounding in wealth,
At home or abroad, on the lad or the sea,
As thy days may demand, so thy succor shall be."

"Fear not, I am with thee, oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand."

These keep replaying in my head over and over, especially when days are rough. Fortunately, they've been less rough as of recently.

Still working with Elder Shawcroft on getting him to snap out of "Elsa Mode." I've been encouraging him to take larger and larger speaking roles in our investigator discussions. When we started out, it was primarily me speaking due to my ability to speak rudimentary Spanish. We're doing better now.
Me and my companion, Elder Shawcroft


I'll see if I can send you guys a video of my Casa's impromptu quintet. We'll see.

I love you all. Alex, you're doing great. Remember to take it slow on turns while driving and listen to what Dad says.

Bree, I hope Lake Powell is/was fun. I don't know if you'll read this 'till after you're back. Jump some cliffs for me.

I love you Mom, Dad, Alex, Bree, and Bodhi. Thanks for the package and the emails.

-Zach


We could only go to the visitors' center as the temple is closed for renovations.

My district and our teacher Hermana Arnaud (in the polka dot dress).

The Elderes

A little fun.
QUESTIONS

1. Did you get your debit card & credit card? It should have been delivered through the pouch mail. If yes, we will activate them here. If no, I need to track down where they are.
-YES, I got the cards the DAY AFTER last P-Day, but my District Leader wouldn't let me send a small confirmation email. Seriously. Anyway, I have both cards. They are with me.

2. Did you get the chocolate candy care package?
-Yes, I got the candy care package. Thanks so much! I haven't had real chocolate in a month.

3. Did you get the package with your hymn book in it yet?
-No, I have not gotten the hymn book package. Still waiting on it.

4. I have NOT shipped your package that you asked for- the one with mucinex. Is there anything else you want to add to that before I send it?
-I can't think of anything else I need right now. That's about it. You may want to send the package directly to the mission home in Nicaragua. It takes forever for packages to get here
   
5. Have you given any more on the spot talks?
-I probably won't have to give any more talks while I'm here due to the increasing numbers of missionaries, but I'm prepared just in case.

6. How is the language coming along?
-Language is coming along fine. To be honest, I'm remembering more than I'm learning. Knew all that knowledge was buried in my head somewhere. I need to work on the speed at which I speak, though.

7. Did you know that your mission has its own facebook page? It was started in 2013--I think under the direction of the current mission president. Which tells me he is a pretty cool dude! https://www.facebook.com/MisionNorteNicaragua/info
-That is pretty cool! Except, I probably won't be able to check Facebook ever while I'm here, but cool nonetheless!

Love,
Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a positive and uplifting thought...