Monday, August 11, 2014

A Week In Da' Field

Hey All!

Well, I made it through one week here. It's not too bad at all.

We have to fill up a few buckets of water every night so we have some to use in the mornings, because they shut off the water every day 'till a little after noon.
The neighborhood.

Outside our door.

It's a little rainy here.
It's okay, though. Most of the time we're not in the house to use the water anyway.

I've given out a ton of folletos (pamphlets) so far. Unfortunately, we sometimes find them crumpled and torn on the streetside a few hours later while passing through the same area. It's for this reason that I'm glad they give us folletos to pass out first before Books of Mormon. We've only given out BoM's to families we've had more than one lesson with.

Well, I got slapped in the face by the Hand of Reality this week. Out of some 16 separate investigadors this week, only 1 guy came to church with us. This guy's name is J___. He's super awesome. We met him the day I got here, and he's already agreed to a baptismal date, to read the Book of Mormon (Libro de Mormón), and to follow the Word of Wisdom. He's super quiet most of the time. I'm not sure if it's because he's nervous or because he's contemplative. His date is August 23rd. We'll hold him to it.
Elder Anderson taking a nap.

One of the things I find really fascinating is that we as missionaries here are literally fulfilling the prophecies of Mormon, Moroni, Nephi, and other prophets. We are spreading the gospel to the Lamanites and their descendants. Heck, we've got descendants of the Lamanites here as misioneros too.

On of the biggest focuses of this mission and the mission president is to find and teach families who want to hear the gospel. I'm still somewhat reluctant at this, since I feel it'd be more right to teach all people instead of focusing only on families. But at the same time, one of the most powerful lessons we teach is that families can be together forever.

For now, we need to focus on finding potential investigators who will not only want to hear our message, but will also keep their commitments to come to church and read the Book of Mormon.
My own little cot.

A little study space.

Gourmet kitchen.

Because we're both white kids (my compañero more than myself), we often get more crap from the Nicas than the native companionships get. We try to ignore their insults or demands for money.
Two days ago one of them threw a rock at the back of my head. I'm fine, and I'm grateful only a small part of the general population harbors open bad feelings towards white people.

Sent a quick hello to Lauren. Crazy how there'll be three of us on a mission at the same time.
Speaking of which, Mom, could you send me Hayden's mission email? I wanna keep in touch with him while we're both out in the field.

I think that's all for now. I'll try to send pictures later today.

I love you all. I love you Mom, Dad, Alex, Bree, and Bodhi.
We have a 2 floor apartment. That's luxury for sure!

Selfie.

Gotta love the risk of electrocution while showering.

Home sweet home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a positive and uplifting thought...