Thursday, August 7, 2014

Hey! I made it!

Hey guys!

I'm in Nicaragua! I'm so sorry I couldn't call on Tuesday. We stopped for a short time in El Salvador, and our group agreed to take no more than 5 minutes each to call our families. Shawcroft went first--and took 30. I couldn't believe it. By the time he was done there was only enough time for the next two people in line to have five minutes each. So, I didn't get to go. Sorry.

Well, I'm here in Nicaragua right now. It is HOT. Like Hawaii. But I guess it feels hotter since we don't have shorts.
On the bus.

My compañero's name is Elder Anderson, and he's from Idaho Falls (He's a gringo). He's been out here for 20 months thus far. I'm his last compañero. He's really nice and gives good advice. This is infinitely better than Shawcroft's "silent treatment" style. He's also the District Leader.

Our district is Wes Pan Sur. It's in the city of Managua, near the outskirts. Everything's got gates or iron bars on it.

Holy moly. I knew I was going to eat a huge humble pie when I got here. I kept telling myself that.

I just didn't know how huge.
The flight.

I was one of the last people to get interviewed by the Mission Presidente, so the whole bus-full of missionaries left for their areas without me on Tuesday. I had to get a ride from the AP's.
And, my bags were on the bus, so I had to wait until 8:00 at night to get my stuff.

Thankfully, it's all here; nothing's lost. So there's a blessing.

On top of that, the water here's actually potable. So I won't need to use my filters until at least late October. That's when Anderson goes home, and I'll find out if I transfer to a new area.

We have a working shower. It's little more than a pipe jutting from the bathroom wall that gives cold water. But I've grown to love cold showers in the past two days.

A lot of the misioneros tell me my Spanish is very good for a newbie. I can understand most conversations. I still need to work on the language. Every day.

Actually, we started teaching the day I got here. I was in my suit pants, which are like an oven for my legs when it's hot. But teach we did. It turns out Anderson had just been transferred to this area as well, so he was as lost as I was, geographically speaking. We found two families and a less-active member that first night. We taught all three. Every investigator we have thus far have been ones we've found.

There's only two other Elderes in our district, Elderes Alfaro and Gonzalez, and they're our Zone Leaders. I went on splits with Elder Alfaro yesterday, and we found three new families to teach in his area.
Shower hose

We have a lady who makes lunch for us every day. It's pretty good. Rice with everything. I don't mind; I'm Asian.

Our house is basically four walls, a floor, and a roof. But the beds are super comfy, even if they're old. Our house has two floors, and the second floor is an oven during the day (we don't go up there) and nice and cool at night.
Super comfy beds.

I haven't seen a single mosquito yet. I dunno if it's the season or the area.

So really, everything's pretty good right now. Nothing's too dangerous; we stay away from the dark streets at night. A couple Nicas have even warned us which streets to not go down.

It's really quite fun to go find and teach people out here. I forgot my camera today, so I'll send pics next time. There's actually no jungle here; it's all city streets and ramshackle houses.

My compañero hates snakes, so I call him Indiana Jones. This is also because we're in the middle of a South American country, traveling almost entirely by foot, which makes us explorers as much as missionaries.

I love you all. I love you Mom, Dad, Alex, Bree, and Bodhi.

-Zach

P.S. I've attached a song I found on one of the computers at the CCM just before we left. Hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a positive and uplifting thought...