Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Week 5 Done...Now the Countdown

Hey all,

Not as much to say this week.

So, last Tuesday night, our District Leader decided to make a District Law prohibiting the singing of anything but church music, the telling of personal stories, or the discussing of anything worldly.

Now, I get the need to "forget yourself" in the work, but the "no music" thing seriously blows. Music is how I psyche myself up in the mornings and how I stay focused and motivated during the day. Taking this away is like seriously taking away a part of who I am. And it also has the potential to be a great teaching aid.

But, whatever. I won't have this same missionary as my D.L. in a week. I can sing how I want after that.

I'm actually starting to feel a bit alone in my District. Literally everybody has a different/near-opposite opinion than me of many things, including the mindset needed on a mission, the importance of music, and even certain doctrines. I'm trying really hard to keep an open mind, but the fact that I'm the youngest of most people here produces some doubt in myself.

And since my compaƱero doesn't say much, I've spent a few nights staying up late talking with a couple other Elders in my Casa. We discuss a lot, and sometimes it gets really deep, but we keep coming back to why we chose to serve missions (circumstances, mindsets, etc.). I'm beginning to think I need to re-think why I'm here and find a solid reason for myself.

One thing's for sure, these few weeks here in Mexico have made me question myself more than almost anything else I've ever done.

So, moving on. On Saturday, somebody right behind our Casa (and over the huge fence) had a huge fiesta. I mean HUGE. Literally from like 8 in the morning to midnight, music was blaring and lights were flashing. It was entertaining during classes, but annoying at night.

People in Mexico party hard.

Not much else to say. Got a haircut today. Looks a little better than the one I got before I left. I'll send a picture.
CCM Haircut

Mom, could you send me the lyrics to "Scarborough Fair," "Suo Gan," and "Carry On Wayward Son?"

Alex, I have a special request. When you start school again, can you find that red book I showed you? You know which one I'm talking about. There were a couple really good quotes in there, including one by Lou Holtz. Can you send me that quote if you find it. And feel free to write in the book as well. You can explain the background of this book to Mom and Dad if they want to know.

I love you all. I love you Mom, Dad, Alex, Bree, and Bodhi.

-Elder Campbell
New ties that I traded for. More durable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a positive and uplifting thought...