Monday, September 1, 2014

Doing The Technicolor Yawn

Hey all!

This week definitely had its ups and downs.

For starters, I had no idea scorpions lived here! That is, until I discovered one in our shower.
THAT's sure gonna help me unwind at nights.

Our new pet

I've sent a couple pictures of it. Anderson caught it by the tail with some string and we hung it on the wall to dry out. I wanted to squish it outright (they're basically bugs with a tail), but I let Anderson do his thing.
Maybe dinner.


Had divisions on Tuesday night to Wednesday morning with Elder Gonzalez from Guatemala. He and Elder Alfaro are our Zone Leaders, but there's just us four Elders in our District along with 8 Hermanas. Anyway, Gonzalez's area borders Lake Nicaragua, the smaller of the two lakes that Managua is located between.
It's really gross. Basically, all nearby sewers and drains pour into the lake, so the water is nasty brown. We didn't go too near it. It stinks, too.

The grossest part is that people still fish there, even though it's a huge sewage dump.

So, Thursday morning I woke up at 3 AM, went downstairs, and began puking my guts out. It was horrible. Diarrhea too. I had some nasty food poisoning or something. All I had in my stomach from last night was beans, so I now can't look at them without getting nauseated. All of Thursday sucked.
Friday wasn't much better. I still felt ooky.

Saturday night we came across this huge cockroach in our casa. It was (no joke) the size of the back of my hand. I stomped it and kicked it outside. It landed with a fleshy 'splat.'

Coulda' put a collar on that thing and made it the Casa pet. I've never seen a cockroach that big before.

By Sunday I'd completely recovered. We brought L ____ and another less-active family to church.
I hope they keep coming. I'm excited but the past month's events have added a splash of realism to the excitement.

So, that's pretty much it. Hope Brennan doesn't have to get transferred due to the Ebola.

Stay away from the Pneumonic Plague! Alex, I'm sorry you sprained your ankle. I hope you feel better as soon as possible.

Mom, I'm sorry I couldn't make it to the AF games. I'm gonna miss spending that time with you guys for a little while.

I love you all. I love you Mom, Dad, Alex, Bree, and Bodhi.

-Zach
Hola!

QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Hey!

1. We’ve been watching the 2 hurricanes spinning—one in the Pacific and the other in the Atlantic. Have you noticed any extra rain coming your way?

There's two hurricanes? Honestly, here in Nicaragua it rains like once every three days or so. Apparently we're supposed to be in the rainy season, so a ton of the natives are freaking out because we're officially in a drought. They might lose the bean crops. Speaking of beans, I'll talk about that in the big email.


2. How did your 50 referrals go? Any new leads?

Of our 50 referrals, only one man came through and is now an investigator. His name is L _____. He's a Catholic, which Anderson says is good because Catholics are more well-learned in Christian doctrine and understand what we're teaching. The trade-off is they're more stubborn when it comes to commitments. But he's come to church with us once so far, so we'll see where this goes.


3. Please describe a typical day AND a typical P-day for us. Where do you go to email? Where do you eat out? What else do you do?

Typical day? Well, we wake up at 6:30.
7:00-7:30 is getting ready, and 7:30-8:00 is breakfast.
From 8:00-9:00 is personal study time, and 9:00-10:00 is companionship study time.
At this point, in a normal companionship, we would head out to proselytize. But since I'm a newbie learning the language, we head out at noon.
12:00-12:30 is lunch, and from 1:00-9:00 we proselytize. Somewhere in there before 6:00 we take a break for dinner.
At 9:00 we head back to the casa (9:30 at the latest) and plan for the next day. We're in bed by 10:30.

P-days the mornings are the same, but at 10:00 we head over to the church's gym to play fútbol. I personally dislike fútbol but EVERYONE here plays it, so the only other option is sitting around and I don't want to do that. We play for an hour or so, go get lunch, and head back. Emails take place somewhere between lunch and 6:00 PM. After that we head out to proselyte for three hours. Nights are the same.

For food, we stop at pulperías a lot. Pulperías are little shops all over the streets that sell different types of food and drinks. Everything's pretty cheap down here.

For email, we go to what's called a Ciber (SEE-burr) and pay the owner to use one of their many computers for an hour or so. The one we use now has AC, which is pretty nice.


4. Did you get the first package we sent you?

Yes! It came last Wednesday. Packages actually only take about three weeks to get here, not two months. Thanks a bunch for the stuff! Please don't send any drink mixes for a while. I have a ton now. This peanut butter is a miracle, though. Thanks for sending it.
The first package to Nica we sent on July 28th finally arrived August 27th. One month to ship.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a positive and uplifting thought...