Monday, October 6, 2014

General Conference of Legend

Hey all!

So this week was a little rough, but I'm so glad I made it to all 5 sessions of GC. I kinda regret not enjoying and anticipating it as much back home as I do here. I feel like there was a message that applied to me in each of them.


Me and the Bird




Bonus points: I got to listen to all sessions in English! They had this little room on the other side of the building where a TV broadcasting English was put. It was basically me and all the other gringo missionaries in the room.

One of my favorite talks this session was by Lynn G. Robbins of the Seventy. His talk was all about which way we can face. In other words, who are we more willing to please? Heavenly Father, or man? He quoted C.S. Lewis:
"Courage is the form of every virtue at its testing point."
I thought that was pretty cool. Sooner or later it all comes down to how much you are willing to do something, for it is ultimately your choice.

He also mentioned that trying to save face with people will lose face with God. That made me think of Dad, and all the times he's talked about saving face.

Jorg Klebingat's talk reminded me of the Wandering Oaken Trading Post Guy from "Frozen." (You know, "Yoo hoo! Family!!") He talked about "6 Gud Steps to Impruv Yur Life".

Another talk that I liked was by Larry S. Kacher of the Seventy. He talked about the currents you follow in life and the examples you set. The question he kept bringing up was:

 "Who will you bring with you down the current? Rather, who will follow you down it?"

We can create currents in life for others to follow. Therefore, we must be careful in the steps we take and the actions we make.

That's pretty much all for this week.
Me and C____

Me and B______
Oh! We put a baptismal date for a family of 7 coming up here in October.

Good luck and have fun in China, Alex and Dad! Like you asked, could you bring me back a stone dragon or something like that?

I love you all. I love you Mom, Dad, Alex, and Bree.

-Zach

P.S. Hey Dad, could you understand Chi Hong Wong's talk in Cantonese? Just curious. [Mom note: Darren (Zach's dad) speaks Mandarin, NOT Cantonese. Totally different.]


QUESTIONS & ANSWERS

 1. Did you get to watch GC? All of it or just some? Where did you go? Was it in Spanish? What was your favorite talk? What did you do in between sessions? Did you use GC bingo?
*I did get to watch GC! I loved all of it. They had this little room just for the English transmission, so that's where I went. Along with all of the gringo missionaries. I'll say more in the big email.


2. What were your feelings about your baptisms? Did the converts listen to GC?
*I felt amazing during the baptisms. Both were intensely spiritual. However, only R____ has been confirmed. J___ didn't come to last week's sacrament meeting. We gotta get on his case to confirm him and make sure he is motivated enough to come to church on his own. Thankfully, both went to GC.

3. Did you buy a new umbrella yet? You should if you haven't.
*Will work on that.

4. What's your favorite thing to eat/drink?
*My favorite thing to drink here is called avena. Basically, it's just dry oatmeal, a little sugar, and tons of water mixed in. Not even cooked. It's mildly sweet, and it tastes good. I'm not totally sure why that one, though. I just like it.


5. What do you want us to get ready to send for a Christmas package? Start sending ideas now.
*A red santa hat and Christmas candy. I will email you if I think of anything else.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a positive and uplifting thought...