Monday, October 13, 2014

Oh Pillow, You're My Only Friend‏

 Hey all!

So, this week was pretty stressful, not gonna lie. There was plenty of rain (plenty), but we had a drought of new investigators. This is stressing us out because in order to have continuous or accelerating success, we need to find at least one new family per week and bring another to church. Basically here if you appear to be less-than-gung-ho-let's-do-it-style, people think you're a lazy missionary. I disagree, but that's just how it is here.

Anyway, the family of 7 is progressing quite well. Of the 7, only 6 are baptismal age, but those 6 have all individually commited to baptism. We've also committed the parents, R_____ and E________, to marriage on the same day as the baptism, October 25.

Alfaro tells me that back before the email time cut to 30 minutes, he and his older compañeros took an average of 2 hours to email. How times do change.

We encountered a snake in the shower last Tuesday. I don't think it was poisonous, but we never found out. I've sent some pictures.
Another pet

Snake

When we brought it outside to leave it in some bushes down the street, our landlady immediately brought out her rusty old machete and wanted to kill it. Everybody has a machete here. They use 'em to cut grass, prune trees, chop fruit and other food, and kill pests.
I hope they take time to wash them in between.
I might get one for myself later on.

There are days when it serisously feels like gravity has intensified as soon as I wake up, and therefore getting out of bed is a Herculean effort. I dunno. My bed looks real friendly day or night.

Got a package today! I should explain, they're sent directly to the mission office since real addresses don't exist here. It's literally like "from the mango tree down the street, two blocks north."
Yeah, those are our directions on a regular basis.

Anyway, the package was from Lola and Lolo and contained Peanut Butter, protein bars, oreos, jerky, M&M's, and mentos. I liked it a LOT.

Also got a letter from Kim and Shane. Please let them know I got it and tell 'em thanks a bunch for me. Will send replies to Nathan's and Corbin's questions in a later email.

Well, that's pretty much it. Tell Dad and Alex I love them and I'm praying for them every day.

I love you all. I love you Mom, Dad, Alex, and Bree.

-Zach
QUESTIONS

1. Do you ever eat at member’s houses?
*We rarely if at all eat at members' houses. There's very few active members here in Waspan Sur. We keep finding old members who've been inactive for years at the very least. It's like coming upon old ruins of temples or something. Like "here's the folks of the old wards and branches, from long ago."
Great food!


2. How big is your ward boundaries?
*Our ward's boundaries extend to all of Waspan, Villa Reconciliación, Miguel Guiterrez, and a few other small neighborhoods. A few miles' worth of walking.

3. How large is your ward congregation? Lots of babies? Lots of youth? Lots of old people? What’s the proportion?
*It's really a mix. The old people are all older converts, and almost all the young families are recent converts or were just baptized.

4. Do you invite any members to go teaching with you?
* We regularly invite R_____ to go teaching with us. Now that he's been baptized, he serves as the foundation for the rest of his family, who we plan to teach and baptize as well. He'll be getting the Aaronic Priesthood here soon.

5. Did you get any packages yet?
*Yes! I just got a package today from Lola and Lolo and a letter from Kim, Shane, and their family. I'll talk more about it in the big email.
Package



6. Is whatever you are going through getting better? Or are you just getting better at adjusting?
* I honestly feel like both. There are still definitely hard moments.I'll say more in the big email.

-Zach
Me and Elder Alfaro

Me and ??? (need a name)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a positive and uplifting thought...