Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Fall of a Nation

Hey all!

Well, this week kinda sucked. Not gonna lie, it was pretty disappointing. We had all but one of our investigators fall through for one reason or another. I'm starting to get flashbacks to Managua. The same kind of thing is happening here. It's just been a repeating theme throughout the 5 1/2 months of my mission thus far.

One of the biggest things I've had to learn while on the mission (and ESPECIALLY in Puerto) is patience. It's a theme repeated a ton in D&C, in my Patriarchal Blessing, and in the Book of Mormon in general. Without patience, things start to go downhill very quickly. Above all, Obedience should apply first in everything having to do with Heavenly Father's plan, followed closely by Patience. It follows more closely along the lines of Perseverance, or Enduring to the End.




Creatures of the sea.



So, I got my first ingrown toenail in the mission!  Not that fun, lemme tell ya that. I've been taking antibiotics and soaking it in hot saltwater. I may have to get it removed. Meanwhile, I've taken great care while walking.

Not much else has happened this week. We got chased by a couple of bolo's (drunk people) on Friday, but they were too hammered to do much besides stumble towards us. We easily avoided them. That's what's ironic here. Lots of people will lie and say we're devil-worshippers, but they all still act like we as white kids are obliged to pay them money if they ask for it. We don't, of course, but it's just backwards logic. Makes me a bit saddened.

I've noticed that the whole country is but a husk of its former self, due to the devastating earthquake and subsequent civil war of the 70's. Since that time, what is left of the country has rebuilt itself, but only to an extent. Somewhere along the way it lost sight of the key component to a progressing and/or stable society: the family.

As stated countless times by the Presidency of the Church and other scripture, the family is the base unit, the foundation upon which all of society is based. Take that away, and society (or at least civilized, progressing society) slowly starts to degenerate.

It's happened here in Nicaragua, and It's beginning to happen in the States as well. More and more people outside the Church are placing less emphasis on the family, deeming it "unnecessary" or "outmoded." Those who declare such cannot see the inevitable future which awaits should their teachings take hold: a degenerate, stagnating society.

Starfish


I am so grateful to have been born in the Church, and to have learned its doctrine. As I grow in maturity and gain more knowledge, I've come to see the importance of teachings that seemed too complex or even arcane to me. Even just being here in Nicaragua has made me appreciate what I had back home.

That was my little thought for the day.

I love you all. I love you Mom, Dad, Alex, and Bree.

1.       What is the plan for the Christmas phone call? What time should we expect you to contact us? Will it be a phone call or can you Skype?
* I will call you guys on either December 24th or 25th. One of those two days the Cibers are all closed, so I have to find out which. Also, I can't remember how to use Skype. Could you send me some info on that?

2.       Did you get BOTH Christmas packages that we sent? Did you take pictures? We’d love to see you with all your Christmas stash! If you get any more from anyone else, PLEASE take pictures. That means the world to us.
* I've only recieved one package thus far. I've actually eaten most of the food in it by now, but I'll be sure to take pictures of the rest.

3.       When will your District? (or is it Zone? What are you called?) all be gathering together with Pres Collado?
* All our Zone (all 24 missionaries in Puerto Cabezas) will meet together on Dec. 29th with President to have our Christmas/New Year's celebration.

4.       How’s the investigator search going? Are you allowed to baptize in the ocean? That would be so cool if you can!
* We've had a couple people here get baptized in the ocean or in rivers, so it's definitely possible. As for investigators, we're in a bit of a drought once more. We need to start anew in finding.

5.       How hot does it get there at this time of year? Does it rain every day? Do you need to use your shoe dryer daily? Is there a lot of mud? If yes, how deep?  Would you rather have rubber boots?
* It's actually been a little chilly in the mornings, then it returns to being really hot during the day. I don't know if it's just that time of the year or if I'm starting to lose my endurance for good 'ol Colorado cold. I use the shoe dryer daily, and yes, there is a ton of mud. My boots are doing great, though. We have an extra pair of rubber boots here if I get tired of my Ecco ones.

6.       What is your typical day like (not P-day) there.  I know you get up super early and go to bed early too. What happens in between?
* We study (scriptures and Miskito) until 10am, then we proselyte from 10 to 12:30. Lunch is from 12:30 to 1:30, and then we proselyte from 1:30 to 8:30. Dinner is somewhere in that period. After that, we plan for the next day and head to bed.

7.       Can you send us pictures of your house? Do you have an actual kitchen? Bathroom?
* Sure! I'll send pics of the house next week. No, we have neither kitchen nor bathroom. Just a table with an electric stove and an outside alcove with a toilet and shower. But we make do.

8.   Any issues with animals? Dogs? Wild pigs? Rabid creatures?
* I kicked a couple of dogs a few days ago, but nothing usually bothers us. There are wild pigs, goats, cows, and chickens, but they keep to themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a positive and uplifting thought...