Monday, January 12, 2015

...Tortuga...

Hey all!

So, this week was SUPER busy, but we got a lot of good stuff out of it. And some not-so-good-stuff too.

On Tuesday we came across this family that we had taught two months ago. We had dropped them as investigators because they'd left for Managua at the start of December. Then we found 'em this past week and started up teaching them again, with much more positive results than before. The next day (Wednesday) we put a baptismal fecha (date) with three of them, set for Jan 21. Their names are W_____, D____, and D____. They're two sisters and one brother, and they're all in their 20's and 30's. Each one has a varying level of readiness, but all of them have prayed and recieved an answer that our message is true.
Then, we passed by another of our old investigators, who had also developed an interest in the church in our absence. We put a fecha with her too, for Jan 27. Her name is C____.

Then, on Saturday morning we got a call from J____, an old investigator. We've kind of put her and her boyfriend R_____ on hold for now because the missionaries have been teaching their family for almost two years now and they've expressed a desire to get married and baptized, Lawrence and I have always had difficulties finding them at their house.

Anyway, they traveled to one of the communities (smaller towns along the East Coast) for the holidays. On Saturday morning J____ called us and told us that her son C______ was tired of waiting to get baptized, and so she was sending him home by bus so that we could baptize him on Sunday.

Really crazy. But, I know the Lord is blessing us tremendously right now.

Speaking of crazy, turns out Elder Lawrence knew a ton of the same friends that I knew and even dated a lot of the same girls I dated. For instance, Marcus Daley was one of his best friends, and he took Brianne Bullen and Emily Vasas out on dates sometimes.

Weird.
I still think it's weird how two guys could live in the same city within 20 miles of each other for 6 years, having the same friends and the same religión, and still not meet each other until they came together in the same misión at the same time in the farthest-away zone as companions.

I think Heavenly Father has a sense of humor.

Also, for lunch on Saturday Hermana O____ made us tortuga (turtle) for lunch! I had no idea until she told me. It tastes and looks like pork. It was super delicious.
Tortuga anyone?
I dare you to eat it!

That is, until I woke up at 1:30 on Sunday morning with vomit and diarrhea. I have officially become a "Puerto Missionary" now, according to some of the missionaries who have more time here.

I don't like turtle meat as much anymore.
I am doing better physically, though.

I love you all. I love you Mom, Dad, Alex, and Bree.

-Zach
Our house

In the middle of the street.

The neighborhood

Check out the door. This is why we need mosquito nets.

Bedroom. I need a pillow!

At the end of a long day, it's just nice to have a place to lay down.

Welcome to our not-so-spa-like, but very functional bathroom.
Cold shower/hose in the wall.

All the comforts of home.


QUESTIONS

1) Bree wants to know if you’ve wet or pooped your bed yet?
 *Funny story about that. I'll explain in the big email.

2) How’s your toe doing? It’s been over 10 days now that you should’ve been taking 2 doxy pills to treat it. If it’s doing better, go back to 1 pill a day. If it’s not, you can take 2 pills for 7 more days, but that’s it.
Toe
*My toe's still kinda iffy. I've been soaking it and taping it and taking doxy, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. I'll try doxy twice a day for the 7 more days, and we'll see how it goes.

3) Any transfers? Are you staying put?
*No news yet. I'm probably staying put but we'll find out for sure next week.

4) How’s the food situation? You’ve gotta eat something more than just beans and rice. GO BUY GROCERIES! Make a sandwich! Eggs in Ramen is good! You need protein- not just carbs.
*Will try that. I'm actually pretty darn sick of rice.

5) We sent your package!!! Hopefully it reaches you by valentines day. It has EVERYTHING you asked for. Including the pillow!
*Thank you so much! I look forward to receiving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a positive and uplifting thought...