Monday, April 13, 2015

Almost 10 Months!

Hey all!

Well, to be honest not much happened this past week. We lost almost all of our investigators to one reason or another, some of whom had baptismal dates. So, at the moment, we are searching for new investigators. Not fun, but it's gotta be done.

In other news, Choque and I have been called to serve another change in the same area together. While some of the areas in Puerto are changing around us, we will remain the same.

We have three newbies arriving in Puerto: Elder Baltimore, Hermana Bradshaw, and Hermana Ponce. They're replacing the three missionaries who just completed their missions this week. They're also the first missionaries outside of our zone that we've seen (besides the APs) since we came to Puerto, so it'll be nice to see some new faces. The zone fireside's tomorrow night.

Oh! Lawrence finally got called out of Caminante and is now assigned to work in Loma Verde 1 with Elder Monson. So, he'll be in my district. Kinda weird. The dude has 9 straight months of working in the same area, so I'm sure this is a breath of fresh air for him.

As for my toe, it is looking remarkably better. After the partial removal, antibiotics, and cotton inserted, it is now neither infected nor swollen. This is seriously a huge physical relief to me, and one that I have been praying and fasting for for some time. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father has answered my (and my family's) prayers.

I can't believe everybody back home is leaving on their missions! It still feels like only weeks ago we were all together finishing our senior year of high school.

I also found out that Marcus Daley recently completed his mission and is home now. What a great guy.

That's all for now. Thanks a bunch for all your prayers and messages. I love you guys a ton.

I love you all. I love you Mom, Dad, Alex, and Bree. I hope Bree's wrist feels better soon.

Zach

1) Do any of the Nica’s go to church on Sunday? I know you brought a lot to church with you- but what about the Catholics or Moravians?

* Yes, a lot of them do go to church every Sunday. Some, like the Moravians, go to church all day for several sessions. Others, like the Evangelicals, have these big revival sessions every Saturday and Sunday night. One such church is located directly across the street from my current house, so we get to enjoy "Come to Jesus" screaming prayer sessions every Sunday night after church. Some don't even go to church at all, but sit on street corners and drink alcohol.

2)   Do they do Easter egg hunts or is that a Western concoction?

*No Easter egg hunts here. Those appear to be a States-only pastime.

3) How far do you walk in an average day? Are you still wearing flip flops? How are your running shoes holding up? Do you need another pair?

*I'm back to regular shoes, since my toe's healed up nicely once more. I'm not sure how much we walk in a day. It's gotta be at least 3-4 miles or so. We have neither cars nor bikes, so it's all walking or taxis.
My running shoes I left in Managua with half my stuff. Kinda an oversight on my part. They do sell running shoes here as well, so I'll see if I can get a pair of those before I have you guys send me a pair.

4) How’s the water in your current place? Do you drink from a well? Or buy purified water?

*The water's fine. We still buy a container of purified water every week or so.

5)  Please tell us how your toe is doing.

*My toe is doing much, much better. With the cotton in place, it should begin growing normally in no time.

6) We’ve noticed that you are still withdrawing some money each month. Can you please let us know if that is something we should expect from now on? If so, please let us know what you are using the money for. It’s okay if you need to use the money—we just need to know what it is for.

*I've actually been running out of funds towards the end of every 15 days (that's when we receive the next payment). Most of it, after setting aside the necessary parts for house and laundry payment, go towards food and taxi rides. Since everything is a little more expensive on the East Coast (shipping costs), I run out of funds faster than I'd like to. This past half-month was especially bad. I usually take out around 500 córdobas at the same time as the mission payment just to make it through the last few days. It's spent on food and transportation. I think this might become a regular thing. Is that okay?

PS- Sending out the one shoe package on Monday. There will be other treats in there, but only ONE shoe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a positive and uplifting thought...