Tuesday, April 7, 2015

General Conference of Legend #2

Hey All!

Well, this past weekend was a huge spiritual boost, one that I very much needed.

One of the high points of this week was definitely General Conference. Not only did Choque and I bring a ton of investigators and recent converts to the sessions, we also had the amazing opportunity to view all 5 sessions in English! Yep, they set up this TV in one of the clerk's offices and it soon became packed with 14 or so English-speaking missionaries. All in all, it was really awesome.

One of my favorite talks was by Elder Brent H. Nielson of the Seventy. He talked about interacting with family members who have fallen away or become inactive. Frequently he drew upon the parable of the prodigal son as comparison. He emphasized that above all else, we must love them as we had before and simply be patient and have faith. As a member with a few less-active family members, I know this talk applied directly to me and I'm grateful for its counsel. I know Mom  mentioned it too in her email, so she was impressed by it as well.

Another one of my favorite talks was by Jeffrey R. Holland. I fell like in addition to giving members a huge boost of morale, it also delivered a powerful bachete to atheism in general. Like, can one really believe that after 80 years or so of living, we die and that's the end forever? The entire universe and all its many creations scream "NO!" I'm gonna try to download the talk later on.

In other news, I heard more on the "mission-splitting" rumor going around. Apparently, if the split were to take place, it will happen this coming July.

Again, this is still a rumor, so I can't confirm anything, But I'll keep you posted.

I love you all. I love you Mom, Dad, Alex, and Bree.

-Zach

Healing Toe!! YAY!!!!!
QUESTIONS

1.       HOW ARE YOU? (I’m not sure if I’m getting the vibe that something is wrong and you just aren’t telling me, or if I’m misreading it, but I’m going to call the mission president if you don’t send me a picture of your toe.)
*I'm doing good.  My toe is healing nicely, and I will send you guys a picture tomorrow morning. Overall, I'm great.

2.       Did you get a chance to watch Conference? If yes, where? Which sessions? Which ones were your favorites?
*I did watch Conference! All 5 sessions! And in English!!! It was truly a blessing to be able to see it given where I'm serving right now. I'll say more in the big email.

3.       How are things with your new companion? Going along well? How is his work ethic & language skills?
*We're doing great! I can't believe it's already been 5 weeks working with Elder Choque. He's a pretty chill guy and a hard worker. His language has developed impressively, given the fact that he didn't speak a word of Spanish when he first entered the mission.

4.       Any idea when you might be moved out of Puerto? Is Lawrence still out there?
*No idea when I'll leave Puerto. The average time for a Latino missionary to be assigned to Puerto is about eight months, but I know several American missionaries who've been here for a longer period than that. The longest I've ever seen a missionary serve here was 17 months (Elder MariƱo, from Argentina) and the shortest was 4 1/2 months (Elder Zorrilla, also from Argentina).

So, I dunno. We got three missionaries ending their missions here next week (2 sisters and one elder), and they sometimes send other missionaries who aren't quite done with their missions back to the Pacific as well. I now have 5 1/2 months in Puerto, and Lawrence is still here.

5.       Any more sea turtle incidents? Or other foods?
*No other "incidents" as of yet. Hopefully that's how it'll stay.

6.       How do Nica’s celebrate Easter?
*They celebrate with lots of drinking and house parties. Just like every other holiday and/or weekend.

7.       Have you heard anything about your last lunch cita’s daughter Adaluz? Is she doing better?
*She is doing much better. Recently she moved to the community of Bonanza to study, but she is doing great.

-Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a positive and uplifting thought...