Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Broadening The Horizons

Hey all!
This week was a lot more interesting than recent others.
Being a DL is way different than being a regular missionary. I've got numbers, divisions with other companionships, and the whole zone as my area. I'd say it's definitely more fast-paced than the other transfers I've had.

Anyway, last week we had a "Consejo de Rama" (Branch Council), where we discussed the states of members who had left Puerto Cabezas for the outlying communities. Our research, contucted over a few weeks, revealed that the vast majority of the members had up and left for Waspam, the farthest-north community in Nicaragua. President Collado will be running some "test runs" of missionaries working in Waspam (the first EVER), with plans to open an area up there coming next transfer (early July). This is super important because we've outside of Puerto, Bluefields, and Corn Island, we've NEVER had LDS missionaries working on the Nicaraguan East Coast. With this new opening we are but one step closer to fullfulling the scripture prophecy of the "gospel being preached in every corner of the world." It's fun to take part in fulfilling scripture.

Also, we've been instructed by President Collado and Elder Duncan to build "capillas sencillas" (simple chapels) in Puerto for almost every branch. That's roughly five. Picture "The Other Side of Heaven" Tongan chapels (i.e. not really a chapel at all, but a roof held up by some support poles). Not very elaborate, but anywhere can become a holy place if it's done with the right intent. Anyway, we'll be building "little chapels" in Puerto, as well as one up in Waspam to hold meetings with members up north. The main point is to provide the opportunity for members to partake of the "Santa Cena" (sacrament), and renew their baptismal covenants. We've already got one built in Lamlaya (one of the branches).

That's about it for now. Lots of new and exciting changes, and new areas about to be opened. In addition to Waspam, there's also the communities of Rosita, Ciuna, Sandy Bay, and Rio Coco, as well as dozens of much smaller ones. As D&C 4 states, "The field is white, already to harvest."

My new companion and I get along just fine. He's from Copan, Honduras. Before he came to Puerto, he was a Secretary in the main office in Managua. He served as DL in my new district the transfer before I did.
He's got 15 months in the mission, and he can speak English very well, almost fluently.

Just a little note here, EVERY SINGLE comp I've had has spoken English, including the two Latinos I've served with (Alfaro & Maradiaga). Weird.

I love you all. I love you Mom, Dad, Alex, and Bree.

-Zach

QUESTIONS

1) How’s life as a DL? What is different (besides the language)? How has that impacted the daily routine?
* A lot more high-paced. A lot. Language study now has more emphasis in Miskito, but I have to worry about 4 other companionships besides my own (5 in total in my district). 4 of those I will be going on divisions with to meet their investigators (not the 5th because those are Sister Missionaries). Overall, just more high-stress.

2) How is your new companion? Give us details!
* I gave details in the big email, but his name is Victor Maradiaga, he's from Copan, Honduras, and he has 15 months in the mission.

3) Are you teaching now ONLY in Miskito? If so, what can we do to help you?
* Still a Spanish-Miskito mix, especially since I'm not fluent or even good at speaking Miskito. If you guys can find an English-Miskito grammar book, that would be fantastic. We got some books down here, but other than the English-Miskito dictionary you sent me, everything's in Spanish.

4) Who are you teaching? Tell us about your investigators!
* I have yet to MEET all of my investigators! They're spead all over Puerto, as the three Miskito  companionships have the entire zone as their assigned area. It gets tedious and confusing at times.

5) We noticed 2 withdrawals on the same day—I don’t have the exact date. But is this really YOU doing several withdrawals or is it someone else? We are just trying to avoid fraud. It would be easier if you took out just 1 time in a day. Again, please give us a heads up.
* Yes, these were mine. I will limit it to one withdrawal at a time, and it'll happen at the end of almost every change.

-Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a positive and uplifting thought...